Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Just Some Thoughts

Some random thoughts....

My youngest son's GF is starting to crochet. She wanted to learn something and I was right in the middle of Christmas things so I gave her circular knitting looms. She really took to those. A method of taking things off the loom is with a crochet hook. I gave her one of those as well a little later. She has found some instructions on crocheting online and is doing that now I have heard. Doing a good job my son says. I'll try to get up with her this weekend and check out how she is going.

I made me a shawl out of some yarn this same son had found me at a thrift shop. I love how the colors pop together. It's acrylic and not the softest but a good washing will help that out a little. I didn't have enough for a full blanket so that's why I chose a shawl. I made it bigger than normal and while it was laying in my chair (we have a dual recliner loveseat that Walt and I always sit in) I noticed it was just wide enough to over my side of it. It's new and I had been using a towel to protect it at times. The shawl is now a half afghan that stays in my seat all the time.

Now, I'm making one for Walt. It always amazes me how slow I can be crocheting if I am not into the project. I don't really care for the pattern he chose nor the colors. However, I believe I am through with the squares finally. I will put a border around this and it will be done. It's half the size of the pattern for the afghan and though the pattern doesn't have a border, I do not like how it looks without one. I will be adding that tonight hopefully. It was a slow pattern for me for me to work up. It didn't really flow I suppose. And this is the second thing I've made that I've really noticed the color choice had an effect on how well the project went for me.

I've thought about this off and on for the last 6 months or so. I'd like to find a group that meets to knit and crochet together. I would like to make new friends and learn new things. And just have a social aspect to my life again. I haven't found one in the little I've searched but, today, I have started making greater efforts to do so.




2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment about Granny's ghan. I just don't know why to begin with it and like you suggested, really want to dwell a bit. Someone suggested I try to remove squares........had no thought of doing that. Figured I'd repair with what's there as best I could. But....time and thinking may present a true plan of action.

Your shawl/ghan sounds like a good item, and a perfect solution to your ability to use the yarn you have. Nicely done.

Phyllis said...

Thank you for stopping by.

I have repaired something done in motifs and I didn't take it apart. The seams were all that needed to be worked on. My personal opinion is to save as much of the original work as possible. I love the history and the endurance of what you will be working on.

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews